Friday, April 20, 2012

Garden Apps-For Those of You Who Are Not Me


Both sons, Jeremy & Garrett have Smart Phones. I don't, because well..... Yeah that's what the sons would say-"Mom, you aren't very smart." They wouldn't be saying that in a derogatory way, but because I'm very slow to pick up on new technology. I was one of the last people in our circle of family and friends to get a dish washer or microwave. And whenever I complain to one of our sons about a problem with our PC or laptop, I get the same answer--"The problem is your computer is 10 years old! Get a new one!"

An article I read in the Star Ledger recently will be of use to both Jeremy & Garrett and for a great many of you, but alas of little use for me. You see my flip phone has no use for Apps, but all of you with Smartphones will find some pretty handy, dandy info at your finger tips to make gardening a little easier in what appears to be approaching an age when the Jetson's would feel at home.

Gardening Toolkit is an app from Applied Objects for $1.99 for iPhone and $3.99 for iPads. You punch in your zip code that will establish your plant hardiness zone and then you can continue on to general guidance for what chores you should be doing each month. Planting advice, plants for attracting bees,butterflies, and hummingbirds, along with recommendations for shade or sun are also provided.
Garden Tracker from Portable Database at 99 cents for iPhones helps you plan a garden for the best of plant health and vegetable yield. The iPad version runs $3.99 and is called Garden Tracker-Bumper Crop. Pest control, watering, and fertilization are also topics that are discussed.

So, one of these days when I approach the expertise of my grandchildren when it comes to technology, I may actually be able to put the above information to use. Until then, I hope there are more of you out there who find this helpful and perhaps if you stop in at Pittsgrove, you can pass along what you have learned:)

Until then, happy gardening!
Cheryl



No comments: